Tuesday, February 12, 2013

More Hypnosis with DC Global Adventurers - Mostly Positive with an Unexpected Twist

Let’s start this blog post with a Nejla Routsong love-fest.

Who is Nejla?  She is the founder and lead organizer of DC Global Adventurers, a social Meetup group that I’ve established a partnership with to co-host a series of events about self-hypnosis.

DC Global Adventurers now exceeds 1,600 members because of Nejla’s commitment to organize unique activities that contribute to physical and emotional well-being.  Hiking, snowboarding, meditation, yoga, hip hop dance, cultural celebrations…it’s all on the agenda.

Plus, the group earns its “global” name by offering once-in-a-lifetime trips to exotic locations like Thailand.

This evening nearly 30 professionals gathered in Chevy Chase, Maryland for a DC Global Adventurers Meetup entitled “Self Hypnosis for Love.”  I’ve included below my observations and thoughts about the event, comparing it to a group session I hosted with Nejla in January.   You can also find a few photos from the event at this link.

1.  Larger and more diverse set of attendees.  Attendance this evening was 2X the number in January.  I attribute that to Nejla’s promotion of the event, the 500+ new members who have joined DC Global Adventurers in the past month and the mostly positive reviews I received after last month’s session.

The group this evening was more balanced in terms of gender, as compared to January which was 13 females and a lone male.  There was also a more diverse mix of demographics and cultural backgrounds, which is representative of the Washington, DC community.

2.  More intimate pre-talk.  As I have written on this blog, the most important part of my “Hypnotic Experience” performance is the pre-talk.  I clear up mis-perceptions about hypnosis, discuss its benefits and set expectations for what is to come.

This evening I extended the length of the pre-talk to incorporate a few more personal anecdotes about my life.  I addressed the role my subconscious mind played in an ill-fated decision to pick a fight while in college, as well as a challenging time in my marriage.

Hypnosis is an intimate experience and, as I have come to learn, a group session with a collection of relative strangers can be intimidating.  My goal was to demonstrate my own vulnerabilities to establish a connection and comfort with the participants.

3.  Changed up the hypnotic induction.  I changed up the lead-in to the hypnotic induction and asked the attendees to close their eyes more quickly.  I still took them through an initial focus exercise, yet wanted to remove the visual stimuli that results from a group setting.

With nearly 30 people in the room, there was a mix of responsiveness to the hypnotic induction.  Just as I expected, I had a handful of attendees who dropped deeply into trance, a few who bounced in and out, and a couple who achieved only a light stage of hypnosis.

After bringing the group out of hypnosis to discuss their experience, I had a few attendees ask me to fire up the wireless microphone I bring to performances.  It was needed for clarity as I soften my voice during the induction and suggestion process.

4.  Positive outcomes.  I relied primarily on my “go to” positive visualizations for self confidence and stress management.  I did introduce a new scenario that focuses on meaningful change, yet (admittedly) need to work on language and flow.  My delivery was a bit clunky.

The reaction I received from the attendees was overwhelmingly positive.  I define what a person should consider a successful initial experience with hypnosis (i.e. refreshed, relaxed, positive and interested in trying it on their own), and that seemed to be achieved.

In fact, I have a group of attendees who expressed interest in a one-on-one session.  That’s when I can tailor the process and approach to their specific outcomes.

5.  An unexpected twist.  One DC Global Adventurer member came away from this introduction to hypnosis feeling sluggish with a bit of nausea.

I have had this reaction from show participants in the past and it’s often associated with someone who experiences motion sickness.  The deepening process of the hypnotic induction is motion-based (i.e. go 20x deeper every time I suggest “sleep”).

I spent a few minutes with this participant in follow-up to the event.  I brought the person back into hypnosis, tested the level of suggestion acceptance and then shared a few visualizations to promote physical stability (i.e. lying comfortably on the ground under a tree).

The environment wasn’t ideal though, so the outcome was only moderately successful.


Nejla and I are already in discussion about co-hosting another appropriately themed event on self-hypnosis in March.  Stay tuned in to this blog post as I’ll update it as soon as the event is announced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:  FEBRUARY 14

I raised the issue of the participant who felt nausea to an online community of hypnotists I am a member of called Hypnothoughts.  I thought this insight from a hypnotist named Sean Michael Andrews was particularly helpful:
Sounds to me like a "hypnotic hangover." Sometimes people will emerge with a headache or feeling of nausea or sometimes just feel "fuzzy." Re-hypnotize and emerge with suggestions of vitality and energy and all sorts of good feelings.

I used to get this in about 5% of subjects, but since I emerge with lots of health suggestions, this never happens anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment