Inaccurate perceptions about hypnosis run wild.
Mind control…magic…Voodoo…mental trickier…I have heard it
all. It’s why I invest time prior to any
performance or individual session on a pre-talk. My goals are to establish a level of interest
and comfort in the hypnotic process, and how it is a tool to help with
emotional and physical well-being.
Yet, it’s hard to dispel the myths, especially when I unintentionally
contribute to them.
A few months back I was asked by an editor at I Am Modern magazine to write an article
about the benefits of hypnosis for their February 2013 “Health” issue. She had heard about my “Hypnotic Experience”
show after a performance
I gave in November in partnership with Professionals in the City.
The resulting article published this
past week has been well received. In
fact, I have already received a couple of inquiries from readers who are
interested in learning more about the practice of hypnosis.
So, how what’s bad about the story?
Check out the illustration the editors selected to accompany
the article. It plays to this nonsense
stereotype that a hypnotist is a tuxedo clothed illusionist who yields magical
powers of mind control.
Yuck! This disastrous
visual selection crushes the message of my article.
I encourage you to read the article, yet focus on
the words. And then read this piece
entitled “Hypnosis
Myths…Solved.” It does a wonderful job of clearly explaining
what hypnosis is and why it’s such a wonderfully powerful tool for positive
change.
![]() |
| The February issue of I Am Modern magazine includes my article on hypnosis. |

No comments:
Post a Comment