![]() |
| Pre-talk sets expectations about hypnosis. New Year's Eve show at Capital Hilton. |
I spend a fair amount of time in front of an audience.
Professionally, I run a social media marketing consultancy and am often invited to present at industry conferences and corporate events about digital communications. During the past few weeks my speaking schedule has taken me from Orlando to Vancouver.
On occasion I also take a stab at stand-up comedy, typically at community festivals and fundraisers in the Washington, DC area.
And finally, there is my “Hypnotic Experience” show that focuses on the emotional and physical empowerment achieved through positive visualization and hypnosis. I have an exciting set of performances lined up this month and in March.
Regardless of the topic or venue, I have come to understand a successful performance or presentation is influenced by a single critical attribute: audience expectations.
In my demonstration and teaching of hypnosis for well-being, the pre-talk is the most important component of a performance. I define hypnosis. I set aside the myriad of inaccurate perceptions. And I hint at what's to come during the show.
The daunting challenge I face is the promise or prediction about the outcomes for a participant who gives hypnosis a try. Yes...it can have rapid and meaningful impact that inspires a person to achieve positive change (i.e. stress management, more confidence and self-esteem, better sleep, injury recovery, more focus on the job, etc.).
More typical though is for the introduction to hypnosis to leave a person refreshed and relaxed, yet without a sustained impression. Long-term change comes from the daily practice of self-hypnosis, which is something I teach in every session.
A single work-out at a gym doesn't produce ripped and toned muscles. A single lap around the track isn't adequate preparation for a marathon.
It's the same with hypnosis. It takes an ongoing commitment to truly realize the life shaping benefits.

No comments:
Post a Comment