Saturday, November 10, 2012

Hypnosis Skeptic Finds It "Amazing"

This past Friday was a much needed day of relaxation at the Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel and Convention Center in Orlando, Florida.  I had arrived at the hotel on Tuesday for a conference and my wife joined me on Thursday to celebrate our 13th anniversary.

We spent Friday lounging at the pool where I struck up a conversation with a group of three women who were nurses visiting from Syracuse, New York.  We got to talking about the issue of pain management and they mentioned the medical practice they work for encourages certain patients to seek holistic alternatives to medication.

The nurses mentioned acupuncture, yoga and meditation as options.  I inquired about hypnosis to which one of the nurses quickly dismissed the practice as merely a bunch of mind tricks.  “I’m way skeptical about it even being real,” she said.

She agreed to try a hypnotic induction and within 10 minutes I got her to a point of deep concentration, relaxation and focus.  I then took her through a couple of simple suggestions, including heavy hands and forgotten first name.

Upon bringing her out of a trance, I left her with two post-hypnotic suggestions: 1) feeling incredibly relaxed and stress free; and 2) having a positive view of her experience in hypnosis and always referring to it as “amazing.”

When she re-joined her friends by the pool they both asked if it worked.  I nodded my head as she responded, “It is amazing…and definitely real.”


The hypnotist celebrating a 13th anniversary with his beautiful wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment