Saturday, November 24, 2012

Research Reports on Health Through Hypnosis

The initial five minutes of my "Hypnotic Experience" show are perhaps the most important part of the performance. 

My pre-talk is both entertaining and informative as I define hypnosis and set expectations of what's to come during the show -- for both the volunteers and the audience.  I also overview the the emotional and physical benefits derived from the practice of self-hypnosis.  (Yes...I teach self-hypnosis in a small group setting or one-on-one.)

It's at this time I typically share with the audience that with the exception of modest bout of stomach flu earlier this year I have not been sick in three years.  No colds.  No infections.  Nothing.

I practice smart health and hygiene by eating right, sleeping well at night, frequently washing my hands and visiting doctor.  Yet, I'm also convinced my good fortune is the result of mitigating the impact of stress through hypnosis.

Now there is legitimate research from Ohio State University that supports this notion.  A new study recently published in the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology found that "hypnosis and related relaxation techniques can actually prevent the weakening of the immune response that often follows periods of acute stress."

There's a nice overview of the research and its findings in this article entitled "Hypnosis May Prevent Weakened Immune System, Improve Health." 

I encourage you to keep eating an apple a day, take your vitamin C and drink plenty of water.  Plus, you may want to explore incorporating self-hypnosis into your wellness routine.  You'll be healthier and happier this winter.   


 
Image Source:  Definition of Wellness

No comments:

Post a Comment