Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Recap of Hypnosis at Walter Johnson HS


Teens across the USA are feeling high levels of stress that they say negatively affect every aspect of their lives, a new national survey suggests.  More than a quarter (27%) say they experience "extreme stress" during the school year, vs. 13% in the summer. And 34% expect stress to increase in the coming year.

Stressors range from school to friends, work and family. And teens aren't always using healthy methods to cope.
2014 Stress in America survey from the American Psychological Association


When I introduced my Hypnotic Experience show three years ago the initial 12 months was invested performing at different venues for different audiences.  What I quickly learned is that high school students are an engaged group who are generally open to alternative approaches for health, wellness and exceptional living.

That’s because they are at a phase in their life defined by learning and discovery.  They are just beginning to figure out who they are and have obtained enough maturity to assess the world around them.
 
Plus, they exist in an environment of constant stress – from school, peers and parents.  Teens often have unrealistically high expectations of themselves and the success they need to achieve in all aspects of their life.

I have written frequently on this blog about how the pursuit of perfection is an exercise in futility.

This morning I had the pleasure of returning to Walter Johnson High School in Bethesda, MD to speak with a group of psychology students about the use of hypnosis as a tool for stress management, confidence and performing in the moment (i.e. academics, athletics, etc.).  The event was hosted by the school’s psychology faculty, who I’ve come to know well during the past year.

Here are a few observations from today’s event:

1. I incorporated some new material into my talk, including a funny anecdote about my experience with a homecoming date while I was in high school.  It played well and drew a positive reaction from the audience, yet resulted in the talk running a few minutes longer than I would have liked.  (Here is a photo of me at my 25 year high school reunion this weekend.)

2. In an educational environment, my philosophy is to take all volunteers as I want to encourage an interest in hypnosis and positive visualization.  That led to more than 60 kids joining me on stage for a hypnotic induction.

Great…I love the enthusiasm and it was a wonderful set of volunteers.  Bummer…I could only take the kids through a very basic induction with a few visualizations.  I also couldn’t incorporate convincers (i.e. heavy eyes) or an instant re-induction, which is always an audience pleaser.

3. I did have a group of 10 kids approach me individually afterwards with specific questions about hypnosis and its applications.  I passed along my business card and encouraged each to connect with me to discuss further and, if interested, learn more about the practice of self-hypnosis.

I’ve made it a priority to help anyone who expresses an interest in achieving positive change and empowerment.  It is how I got started on this journey.

PS  One of the most enjoyable parts of speaking at a high school is the time I get to speak with educators.  I’ve found that across the board they have a passion for what they do and deeply care about the success of their students.  As the father of three sons, that is incredibly encouraging.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated on October 9:  Here is a kind Email I received from the educators at Walter Johnson in follow-up to my appearance at the school yesterday.

We just wanted to send you a big thank you for your wonderful show yesterday. Our students ( and all of us , of course)  really enjoyed the experience . You really helped our curriculum “come alive” . We are so happy to have you partner with and be part of the WJ family. We will be sure to spread the word about your talents to all relevant parties.  I look forward to seeing in in May for a “fun show” !

All the best-
Geri, Nicole, and Ty

No comments:

Post a Comment