Monday, October 27, 2014

A Scary Good Time at Cox Farms' Fields of Fear


Fields of Fear at Cox Farms is open through Halloween.


During the past two Saturday evenings I have had the pleasure of being part of the entertainment at Cox Farms’ Fields of Fear in Centreville, Virginia.  The folks at Cox Farms do Halloween right with a wonderful mix of thrills, chills, scares and frights, hosted in a venue that is well managed and maintained.

My show – the Hypnotic Experience – was housed in an area called the Firegrounds.  With the venue sold out both nights I performed, guests often must wait some time before enjoying attractions like the Cornightmare or Dark Side Hayride.

That’s where I come in.  The Firegrounds feature an eclectic group of performers, including a magician and fire-eaters.  There is also a dance area, carnival games and, of course, food and drink options.

Rather than a stage show, I offered a demonstration for guests who were interested in experiencing hypnosis.  In light of the venue and environment (i.e. big crowds, lots of action, music, etc.), my participation included:

--Brief talk about what hypnosis is; its use as a tool for academic achievement, athletic performance, health/wellness, etc.

--Simple five minute hypnotic induction

--Visualization designed to instill positive thinking and stress management

This approach allowed me to work through small groups of two or three volunteers in minutes, ensuring there was a constant flow of participants and everyone interested had the chance to give hypnosis a try without much of a wait.

The result:  more than 200 volunteers over the course of two nights with little (if any) downtime during the three plus hours I was on-site each evening.

Many thanks to Sam and the whole team at Cox Farms for including me.  I had a wonderful time at a family-owned establishment that knows how to scare things up right. 

The Firegrounds area included music, food and performers to entertain guests while they waited to jump on a ride.


I set up in area with a magician and fire-eaters.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment