For many it's sought in physical appearance. Do a Web search using the phrase "plastic surgery and beauty" and you'll see what I mean.
For others, perfection is paramount in professional or academic accomplishment, athletic achievement and/or family relationships. I used the words "and/or" in the previous sentence for a reason. That's because the desire to craft perfection in different aspects of life can become all consuming.
The perfect marriage...perfect kids...perfect friends...perfect career...perfect hobbies - I hear this all of the time from my friends, neighbors and people I interact with professionally.
To this my response is always the same: "For me, good enough is good enough."
Perfection is simply an unrealistic expectation. Its pursuit creates an unsustainable level of stress and dissatisfaction that can manifest itself in a myriad of unhealthy ways, such as restless sleep, irritability, illness, nagging physical injuries, poor career or classroom performance, etc.
In my pre-talk prior to the start of a hypnotic induction I seek to learn a bit about the person who has expressed interest in exploring emotional and physical balance and well being. I don't probe too far, yet it is often apparent the person has set themselves up for failure and disappointment by pursuing perfection in aspects of their life.
It's not an age thing either. Earlier this month I hypnotized a group of college and high school students who had defined completely unachievable goals for themselves in school, athletics and personal relationships. A fair number of them expressed feelings of regret for perceived failure.
Hypnosis is a powerful tool that can help an individual let go of pent up stress and tension, and more effectively manage it in the future.
Plus, I typically encourage a person under hypnosis to embrace the concept they are beautiful, smart, energetic, confident and loved exactly the way they are. Good enough is good enough!
![]() |
| Yuck! The unrealistic journey to perfection can create stress and anxiety. Source: CNN.com |

No comments:
Post a Comment