Monday, September 15, 2014

Thoughts and Impressions from a Day of Hypnosis at Whitman HS


Do you actually get paid to do this?

That’s what a volunteer asked with a touch of sarcasm in her voice.

Well…in my case…the answer is “no.”   I do have a full time job as the CEO of a marketing services consultancy, which affords me the opportunity to donate my time to perform my Hypnotic Experience show and speak on the topic of positive visualization.

That’s why I focus on community festivals, street fairs, charitable fundraisers, non-profits, and high school and college events.  They are worthy organizations that often lack the financial ability to hire entertainers.

This brings me back to today and my return visit to Whitman High School in Bethesda, MD.  I have an excellent relationship with one of the school’s educators and she has been kind enough to include me as a speaker in her health class.  Here is a link to the blog post I wrote after speaking to her classes in February – My Impression of Hypnosis for Health at Whitman High School.

Similar to last semester, I came away from today’s talks incredibly impressed with the intelligence, focus and creativity of the students.   This is a school of high performers (i.e. athletes, musicians, scholars, artists, etc.), yet it is in these environments that issues associated with stress and confidence can be even more pronounced.
  
These kids have to manage pressure from their family, friends and the community.  However, they also expect great things from themselves and it is this pursuit of perfection that can often create challenges.

Today was a whole lot of fun and rewarding.  My talk about hypnosis for health, wellness and exceptional living was well received, and I had a wonderful group of volunteers during each class. 

I also had a number of kids chat with me afterwards with specific questions.  What was the most frequently asked?  Can hypnosis help a person sleep better a night?  I get that question all of the time from people of all ages.

So…what about our skeptic?

I’d like believe I got her thinking about an approach she may have never considered.  I’m the first to acknowledge that hypnosis is the not right tool for everyone.  You don’t know though until you try.

Plus, it is a sign of strength and confidence to question those around you.  Form your own opinions.  Define your own path.   That’s empowerment and (ironically) one of the core messages of my talk.

Is hypnosis real?  In 2012, this group of students at Oakton High School in No. Virginia respond to the sleep suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment