Thursday, February 20, 2014

My Impression of Hypnosis for Health at Whitman High School

From time to time, I fondly recall my high school experience in the late 1980s. 

I was fortunate to be a multi-sport athlete with a great set of friends.  In fact, I still meet-up every few months with a group of guys who I have been close with for more than 30 years.

Pressures were few and stress was relatively low.

Oh my, how the world for teenagers has changed.  A recent article in the Washington Post entitled “Stressed out teens, with school a main cause” cites a recent survey from the American Psychological Association that found many teens feeling overwhelmed or depressed because of high stress levels.

Forty percent of teens surveyed said they have felt irritable or angry during the previous month and more than one in three reported having trouble sleeping because of stress.

This study was top of mind as I arrived at Whitman High School this week to lead a series of discussions about hypnosis as a tool for healthy living.  My children will one day enroll at Whitman, so I’ve had a keen interest in being part of the community.  I attend a variety of sports events each year and have made it a priority to meet faculty members.

Whitman is not your typical public school environment.  The student population is loaded with high achievers in academics, athletics, music and the arts.  The pressure to succeed is extreme, as is the challenge to be accepted at an upper echelon college.

It’s for these reasons and the stress it produces that the school’s principal has made mindfulness a priority.  I recently wrote about Whitman’s mindfulness initiative in this blog post.

So…how did it go?  Here are a couple of observations after five presentations over two days to more than 120 students:

--Similar to my experience in December at Walter Johnson High School, I came away incredibly impressed by the maturity and intellect of the kids.  Every class was engaged in the presentation about hypnosis and I had a wonderful set of volunteers.

--In a classroom environment with a limited amount of time, I have to move quickly through a basic hypnotic induction.  This limits the experience and doesn’t afford me the time to incorporate simple suggestions or convincers (i.e. heavy eyelids).  I considered using a rapid or shock induction to save time, yet ultimately decided to stick with an approach similar to guided meditation.  It ensures a more positive experience, even if a volunteer doesn’t reach a state of hypnosis.

--After my pre-talk and a basic hypnotic induction, there wasn’t a lot of time for volunteer or audience questions.  This is personally disappointing because I always enjoy this interaction.  The exception was the demonstration for the last class of the day, as I had a couple of students stick around for a few minutes to chat.  Our discussion about focus in the classroom and after school activities was fascinating.

--Ultimately, my message to the kids is relatively simple – success and happiness in life is about confidence and empowerment.  Hypnosis is merely a tool that can help a person achieve that understanding.

I’d like to personally thank Nikki Marafatsos, the teacher who hosted me during the past two days.  Similar to the other educators who I’ve met, she is invested in the health, well being and success of her students.   

That’s inspiring!  

This week I led a discussion about hypnosis for health for more than 120 students at Whitman High School.  (Photo Source: Bethesda Magazine)

No comments:

Post a Comment