Sunday, May 12, 2013

Cherishing Mom



It’s true, even hypnotists have moms.

Thanks to mine I had an easy and care-free childhood.  I was active in team and individual sports, successful in school and part of a wonderful group of friends.

I steered clear of drugs, was never suspended from school for misbehavior and, with the exception of a few minor scrapes, rarely got into physical altercations with peers.

Yet, like most kids I dealt with a mix of anxieties, feelings of insecurities and personality flaws.  I was (and still am) hyper-competitive and often curt to others when stressed.  Plus, I had my share of verbal mix-ups with mom, often tossing typical childhood frustrations on to her.

Through it all, she was always there to listen, to offer a kind word and, when needed, splash me with a dose of reality.

For instance, when I was a sophomore in college I attempted to seriously date two women at one time.  While home on summer break, I was hanging out with one young lady at my parent’s house when the second woman unexpectedly arrived.

I pleaded with my mom to run interference by going outside and telling the second woman that I was sick and highly contagious.  My mom brushed this request aside and explained I needed to accept the situation and deal with it myself.

Yes…I was pissed at the time as both women quickly ended the relationship.  Yet, I soon realized that accountability, respect for others and commitment are all attributes of tremendous value.  It’s helped me be a better husband and father.

That’s what mom’s are for. 


Source:  PowerChurchInternational.com
   

No comments:

Post a Comment