Saturday, May 18, 2013

After Prom Hypnosis Proves to be a Hit with Students



Held at 300 Shady Grove in Gaithersburg, MD, the After Prom party featured bowling, billiards, casino games and my Hypnotic Experience show.


Young adults, teens and tweens are typically wonderful participants in a hypnosis show.  They have creative imaginations.  They’re good when it comes to focus.  And they are comfortable following direction.

It’s with this in mind that I very much looked forward to participating at Richard Montgomery High School’s After Prom party hosted at 300 Shady Grove in Gaithersburg, MD.  I came away from the event impressed with the exceptional students I met at the party and their willingness to give hypnosis a try.

I arrived a few minutes before midnight with an expectation of staying for about 90 minutes.   At about 3:30 AM I finally called it a night having hypnotized more than 40 party goers.

Here are a few of my observations from the evening:

1.  Due to the set-up of the venue and schedule of activities, there was not an opportunity to do my “Hypnotic Experience” 90 minute stage show performance.  I selected a corner of the billiards room, introduced myself as a hypnotist to a few nearby students and then took two volunteers at a time through a hypnotic induction.  I was fortunate to have a small crowd gathered for nearly 2-1/2 hours as word of my participation spread.

2.  It was noisy with music blaring from speakers throughout the facility, and the constant smack of billiard and bowling balls.  Accordingly, I adjusted my approach to have each volunteer quickly move through the hypnotic induction with constant reminders to focus on my voice, allowing all other sounds to fade to black. 

3.  I kept the suggestions simple as well because the constant distractions might impact how volunteers responded to more complex scenarios.  Light/heavy hands…feet glued to the floor…forgetting their first name all worked well. 

4.  Most impressive for the audience was the instant inductions I used once a volunteer had slipped in to hypnosis.  As always, there were skeptics in the crowd who thought the hypnotized might be playing along.  A volunteer’s immediate response to the “sleep now” suggestion generated the most reaction from the crowd.

Parent volunteers organized a wonderfully successful event.
5.  The parents who hosted the after prom party should be applauded for their commitment to putting on a fun, entertaining and safe evening for the students.  As the father of two sons (9 and 7), it was a nice reminder that your love and hope for your children remains strong during their teen years.

Many thanks to the parents, students and folks at 300 Shady Grove for including me in the After Prom party.  I had a blast!


The sleep suggestion instantly brings a volunteer back into hypnosis.



A Richard Montgomery High School student gives hypnosis a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment