When the organizer asked me to hold off on the start of the event for a few minutes to accommodate a few late arriving guests, I jumped at the opportunity to test out some new stand-up material I’ve been working on.
Disney shtick.
Check. The trials and
tribulations of performing at a high school after prom party. Done.
Ridiculous stereotypes in stand-up comedy. Gotcha.
Ten minutes later I had a sobering reminder of why
I perform “Hypnotic Experience,” rather than focusing solely on stand-up. It’s hard…and I am only kind of amusing.
So…on with the event! It was hosted last night in Washington, DC by
one of the largest
and most active meet-up groups in the country. I have a long-standing relationship with the
group’s founder and lead organizer. In
fact, this is our third year collaborating.
A couple of thoughts in follow-up to what was an
incredibly successful evening:
1. Insightful Pre-Talk.
During my pre-talk,
I now do a better job of setting audience expectations about the program. Much of this is based on feedback I’ve
received in the past from performances for this group.
Rather than a comedy hypnosis show one might find at a club or casino, Hypnotic Experience is designed to a fun and entertaining exploration of how a person can use the practice of positive visualization for health, wellness and exceptional living.
My goals are to engage the audience, educate them
about what hypnosis is and its meaningful applications, and have those who are
interested give a basic hypnotic induction a try.
In no way do I knock comedy hypnosis. There is a well earned place for that at
appropriate venues and I perform a pure-play comedy version of my show, when
asked. Here is an article I wrote last
year about a hypnosis
show on the Carnival Cruise Line.
2.
Exceptional Guests = Totally Awesome Vibe. The event last night attracted wonderful guests. It was a group of culturally diverse
professionals who work in an interesting mix of careers, including law, music, arts
and education. This contributed to a
positive vibe in the room throughout the evening.
Interestingly, the nearly 50 guests were split
evenly between men and women. A typical
Hypnotic Experience show
tends to attract a predominantly female audience.
3. Volunteers Galore. The organizer arranged 12 chairs up front for
guests who were interested in trying a hypnotic induction. This was a totally appropriate number, based
on our past events working together.
So…imagine my pleasant surprise when we needed to
add chairs to accommodate volunteers.
Plus, I had a handful of people who were in the audience also go through
the hypnosis process.
4. Colors, Smells and Smiles.
So…what was the volunteer response to
hypnosis?
Just as I had hoped, it was predominantly positive
and unique for each individual. Some
volunteers experienced colors during the confidence visualization, including blues,
greens and reds. One participant reported
a heightened sense of smell during the relaxation induction, which is a
response I seldom come across.
All in all, the guests who were open to hypnosis came
away from the experience feeling energized, confident and stress-free. That’s exactly what I aim for!
![]() |
| This is a photo from last year's "Hypnotic Experience" show for the 20s/30s MeetUp group. Last night's event attracted an equally fun and engaged group of guests. |

No comments:
Post a Comment