Monday, October 7, 2013

Hypnosis: Empowered for Success

I served as a strolling entertainer at the South Riding Fall Fest.

This weekend I had the pleasure of performing as a strolling entertainer at the South Riding Fall Fest in Northern Virginia.

It’s during these informal demonstrations of hypnosis and the power of positive visualization that I have the opportunity to chat with volunteers in a more personal, one-on-one setting.  Over the course of two hours at the event, I had 20 volunteers and held meaningful conversations with nearly a dozen.

Here are a few take-aways:
1. There is almost always a need to de-mystify hypnosis and clear up misconceptions.  Most people have been exposed to the concept of hypnosis through film, television and Las Vegas-style comedy shows.  I achieve a high level of volunteer interest by talking through what hypnosis is, applications for a healthier and happier life, and the ability to learn self-hypnosis.


2. The requirement in school, work and athletics to perform in the moment is an outcome with great appeal.  One woman was anxious about a major client presentation.  A young man was preparing to take the GRE exam.  Another guy was just back on the soccer field after an ankle injury and cautious in his play.  Simple visualizations to inspire self-confidence and reduce stress delivered a near-immediate benefit.

3. Ultimately, hypnosis is about empowerment.  Each of us has the inherent skills, drive and focus to achieve our life goals.  By setting an expectation for success our natural talent is allowed to shine.   

No comments:

Post a Comment