Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Hypnosis for Exceptional Athletic Performance

As someone who has spent his life participating in competitive sports, I have long been fascinated by the subtle differences between a good athlete and a great one, as well as a great athlete and an elite one.

MJ, the ultimate clutch player.
Why is it that certain players shine during high pressure situations while others consistently come up short?  Is there a mental factor that contributes to an athlete earning the dubious distinction of being injury prone?

Earlier this month I spent time with a handful of college athletes while on vacation with my family.  Three of the women I spoke with are exceptional performers in their respective sport -- soccer, softball and cross country.

Each received a myriad of accolades at the high school level which led to them being recruited by a number of profile college programs.  They were always the best on their team and, in many cases, the most talented player in the league.

Yet, these young athletes harbor doubt about their ability to continually excel at the collegiate level.  They worry about maintaining an intense practice schedule (and its impact on burn-out), standing up to competition when everyone on the field is exceptional, and maintaining overall good physical health.

Can hypnosis serve as a tool to help an athlete achieve focus in training and in competition?  Can an athlete condition their mind for performance the same way they prepare their body?

I did hypnotize each woman, yet it was merely to introduce the concept and to alleviate some underlying and sustained stress they experienced during the summer.  I concluded the session with each with a positive visualization of them reaching their potential on the field.  (I discussed in a previous post on this blog about the power of positive visualizations to influence emotional and physical well being.)           

This will be an ongoing topic for the blog - athletic performance and physical well being through hypnosis.

Can hypnosis help athletes condition their mind for performance?  Photo source:  Cerritos.edu.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment