This is a question I am frequently asked from people at a post prom, all night grad party, or other event when I am about to solicit volunteers for a show. It is why I always share the following information:
1. Hypnosis is a natural state of mind defined by focus, concentration, creativity, and enhanced suggestibility.
2. All of hypnosis is self-hypnosis. My volunteers hypnotize themselves. I merely serve as the guide.
3. A person will never do anything when hypnotized that they wouldn’t normally do. They won’t commit a crime. They won’t give away their money. They won’t tell me secrets.
4. A person is aware of everything around them at all times when hypnotized. Hypnosis is an altered state of consciousness. It is not unconsciousness.
5. A person can never get stuck in hypnosis. If I were to have someone in trance and run out of the room, the moment they recognized my voice was no longer present the person would bring themselves out of hypnosis.
What about those clips you may have seen on YouTube or other social media with people hypnotized and acting crazy? The answer to that question is quite simple. The people who volunteer to be in a comedy hypnosis show love being the center of attention. It is a show. They are on stage. It just feels right to go with it.
You can watch my hypnosis induction on YouTube. It was uploaded by a student at Clarksburg High School in Germantown, Maryland.
No comments:
Post a Comment