Friday, January 26, 2018

3 Truths About Coyote Country


A nice "thank you" from the students at Clarksburg High School.

 Each year I have the opportunity to speak with psychology and health students at high schools throughout the Washington, DC region about hypnosis as a tool for stress management, confidence building and performing in the moment (i.e. athletics, academics, etc.).


  
One of my most favorite visits is Clarksburg High School – home of the Coyotes.  I’ve been on campus as a psychology speaker and to perform the comedy version of my Hypnotic Experience show at the end of the school year.   

Here is a write-up I published in June 2017 about the comedy show:


With so much time spent in Coyote country, I’ve come to recognize and appreciate a couple of important things about the school:

1. It is a culturally diverse student population which makes for a rich educational experience.  The kids come from all sorts of backgrounds and belief systems which, I believe, fosters an environment of open-ness and learning.  I suspect this diversity may lead to conflicts from time-to-time.  Yet, in the long run this will prepare the students to be successful in life.

2. Like most of the high school students I meet, the kids at Clarksburg are engaged and super smart.  This demographic often gets a bad rap for being self-absorbed and entranced by digital devices.  By relating the practice of hypnosis to issues in their world, I find a high level of interest. 

Plus, the questions I got from kids at Clarksburg after my talk were insightful.  It’s not easy to approach an adult you just met, look him in the eye and ask a question.  Yet, that is just what a whole group of kids did after each class period.

In my talk I relate the topic of hypnosis to specific issues students deal with every day.


3. And finally, the psychology teachers at Clarksburg who I have come to know during the past two years very much care about the success and well-being of their students.  I have found this same attribute in teachers in all of the schools where I have spoken. 

Teaching is a challenging gig as you have to manage students, parents, administration, etc.   You thrive as a teacher by loving your craft!     


Carol Sabet, Richard Nowland and Scott Mathias are an exceptional group of educators at Clarksburg HS.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment