Just as the audience settles into their seats for my Hypnotic Experience show I dive into the pre-talk. It’s during this 20 minute chat I use humor and entertaining anecdotes to clear up misconceptions about hypnosis and set expectations for the show.
I’ll ask the audience to accept for a moment that we
all have two minds – conscious and sub-conscious. Our conscious mind is our area of rationale
thinking and, while important to how we survive and thrive each day, it often
gets us in to trouble.
Have you ever arrived at home exhausted after a long
day at work? You may feel like you’ve
run a marathon, even though you have been planted at a desk.
That’s because our conscious mind requires a
tremendous amount of energy to function.
A hypnotic induction helps a person step outside of the conscious mind,
and get to a place of focus, quiet and relaxation.
That outcome intrigued a woman I recently met with
individually after she attended one of my shows about hypnosis for exceptional
living.
When I arrived at her home, it was obvious that her
mind was racing. In short order, she
talked about an important graduate school project she has in the works. She mentioned a grant application she’s developing. And then rattled off several conflicts these
deliverables had created in her relationships with co-workers and classmates.
Could hypnosis help quiet her mind?
In this particular case…no. I walked her through several relaxation
exercises and soothing visualizations, using my “go to” scenarios such as lying
on a raft on the perfect pool and floating in the cloud.
Although she gave it a sincere try, she simply could
not step outside of her conscious mind.
Little things like me saying her name as part of my soothing dialogue
jolted her out of trance.
Plus, she changed up the visualizations to better
suit her interests. For instance, rather
than lying on a raft on the pool, she placed herself in the water.
Of course, this action required attention from her
conscious mind.
The take-away for me is that a person must
absolutely be in the right state of focus and creativity to reap the full
positive outcomes of visualization. It confirms
that it truly is self-hypnosis.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our time together did prove to be well spent. The woman sent me a text message a few days
later that read, “BTW, I think it did help afterwards.”
![]() |
| The subconscious mind holds much of our creativity and power of visualization. Photo source: Aisha's Scrapyard. |

No comments:
Post a Comment