Monday, March 17, 2014

Post Show Chats - When Hypnosis Gets Personal


A show is about entertaining and informing.  Yet, one-on-one conversations afterwards are just as fun.

When embarking in comedy and entertainment as a hobby I quickly learned a few things.

--While it may be fairly easy to write original material, it is agonizing slow and cumbersome to create (and test) funny material.  Laughter is as much about timing, as it is content.

--Differentiation is paramount and you have to capture what makes your show unique in a single sentence or, at most, a paragraph.  From what I understand, it is comparable to a teaser pitch a writer (or director) makes to a movie studio. 

As I concepted my Hypnotic Experience show, I kept these principals close to mind and heart.  There are already a myriad of talented comedy stage hypnotists who are adept at transforming volunteers into the stars of the show, tapping into their creativity and imagination.

Yet, these Las Vegas style acts at some level reinforce the misconceptions about hypnosis.  There is often a vibe among many in the crowd that they would never give hypnosis a try.  That’s unfortunate.

So, I created a “fun and entertaining show about the power of positive visualization.”  That’s my teaser pitch.

I marry my penchant for storytelling and humor, with a frank discussion about hypnosis and its benefits as a tool for health, wellness and happiness.  I also incorporate a basic hypnotic induction with a series of visualizations that I perceive to be consistent with the expectations of the audience.

For instance, at a show for professionals or a high school psychology class I’ll focus on stress management and confidence building.  An after prom party or community festival gets some more entertaining visualizations, such as competing in an American Idol competition.

This brings me to last night and my performance for one of the most active social groups in the Washington, DC area.  I’ve been fortunate to strike up a relationship with the group’s organizer, who I have now partnered with on several events during the past two years.

Although a late season snow storm was approaching, it was a wonderful evening with an exceptional audience of about 50 people – smart, talented, accomplished and professional.  

The show went well, yet the highlight for me was the post performance Q&A.  This is when I have the chance to engage with audience members at a more personal level.

There were three types of conversations:

1. I don’t believe self-hypnosis could work for me, yet I’m intrigued and may want to give it a try.  It is absolutely OK to be a skeptic and I always try to set realistic expectations about hypnosis (i.e. it’s a process, not magic).  At the very least, you’ll find the experience to be comforting and relaxing.  That’s a good thing, right?
     
2.  I’d like to learn more about the hypnotic process and how it differs from other forms of meditation and stress management.  I encouraged a few of the guests to check out Hypnothoughts, an online community of hypnotists and practitioners.

3. When, where and how do you practice self-hypnosis, and what happened after you incorporated it into your life.  I’m happy to share my personal experience with and lessons learned from self-hypnosis.  I recognize it can serve as a good starting point.  Yet, I always remind people that ultimately it’s up to them to define the positive outcomes that will contribute to their happiness and well-being.

No comments:

Post a Comment