Sunday, August 4, 2013

Can a Type A Personality be Hypnotized?


I blend well in Washington, DC.  It’s a city of on-the-go, type A personalities who jostle for a taste of action in fast paced political and business circles.

My practice, teaching and performances of hypnosis are an enjoyable hobby.  I pay my mortgage as the CEO of a business consulting firm.

A misconception about hypnosis is that the volunteer forfeits control to the hypnotist.  This would then make take charge personality types resistant to gently drifting into a highly suggest-able, trance-like state. 

The truth is actually a near 180 degree opposite of the perception.  The practice of hypnosis and its ability to help a person manage stress; enhance confidence; improve academic, career and/or athletic performance; and recover from injury is incredibly empowering.

It makes type As who are open to it wonderfully gifted when it comes to hypnosis.

This past Friday I had the pleasure of meeting with a young woman who has booked my “Hypnotic Experience” show for an upcoming event she is organizing.  We talked through expectations for the show, audience and logistics.

I then asked if she wanted to give a hypnotic induction a try.  She agreed, yet with an understandable level of cynicism.  That’s because she is the definition of overachiever:  National Merit scholar, exceptional student, multi-sport athlete and self-taught musician.

Yet, upon taking her through a series of relaxing visualizations she soon achieved a deep and sustained level of hypnosis.  And this was in a somewhat public environment with a significant amount of background noise and activity.

We focused on a couple of post-hypnotic suggestions designed to promote stress mitigation, confidence and concentration.   I then shared with her how to achieve a trance like state on her own in as little as 10 seconds. 

She emerged from the experience enthusiastic, positive, refreshed and…empowered! 

A focus exercise combined with a simple sleep command puts a volunteer into hypnosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment