A few weeks back I spent time with a yogi and, after hypnotizing her, asked her to assess her experience in relation to Bikram. Here's a link to that post.
Today, I worked with a successful, intelligent and professionally driven woman who has practiced Yoga-nidra, also referred to as "yogi sleep." The hypnotic experience was an exceptional and powerful one for her which I believe can be partly attributed to some work stress she has been under during the past few weeks.
She came away from our time together relaxed, refreshed and energized, and interested in trying self-hypnosis. I spent a few extra minutes with her to share a proven technique to quickly return to a state of hypnotic focus and relaxation.
So...how does the feeling of Yoga-nidra compare to hypnosis? I was not surprised to hear that it is somewhat similar because of the visualization and breathing that define each activity.
She explained that hypnosis is a more social experience though because of the interaction with the hypnotist, who guides the process. Plus, there's a physical component to hypnosis which involves me slightly touching the person's hand or shoulder as part of the deepening process.
This type of feedback is incredibly valuable for me as I further refine my approach to sharing hypnosis in a group setting (i.e. parties, gathering of friends, fundraisers, etc.). By relating the hypnotic experience with other stress management techniques, it can establish a level of comfort with the audience.
![]() |
| Yoga-nidra also referred to as "yogi sleep." Source: Studoserenity.com |

No comments:
Post a Comment