Sunday, July 29, 2012

Hypnosis, Positive Outcomes and a Book Called 'The Secret'

I spent time this evening with a wonderful couple who were interested in exploring hypnosis together.  Their life journey has included a focus on creating a positive environment for success, emotional well-being and happiness -- both personally and professionally.

I didn't get the impression that either of them were deeply spiritual.  Rather, it was more of an intellectual interest in how a focus on positive outcomes could allow them to each be a better person, partner and parent.

Consistent with what I have learned during the past six years, each had a unique experience with hypnosis.  For him, it was more of a physical process that produced a feeling of focus and clarity akin to meditation.  In fact, his response was quite similar to my own when practicing self-hypnosis.

I wonder if there's a gender influence when it comes to the hypnotic experience?  Perhaps a topic to explore in a future blog post.

She was enthusiastic to experience hypnosis which, ironically, made it a bit more challenging for her to get to a point of deep trance.  She went effortlessly through the hypnotic induction, relaxed and reacted favorably to set of basic suggestions.  It was a good experience so far.

However, my sense was she was trying too hard and this was creating a slight, unintentional block.  

I decided to break up the session to chat for a few minutes so we could get to know each other and build trust.  When I then re-inducted with the suggestion that she focus solely on my words, she let go and very quickly got to a point of deep relaxation.  Her creativity and warm spirit really shined.

The Secret promotes value of positive outcomes
Afterwards, she shared with me her interest in a movie and book entitled The Secret.  Admittedly, I wasn't familiar with this work, yet she explained its philosophy to focus on positive outcomes to get the most benefit out of life was right in step with my beliefs.

I'm going to spend time with the book this week with the hope that I can visit with this couple further.  It would be great to learn more about how positive thinking is helping shape their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment