Each year I have the opportunity to visit nearly 20
high schools in the Washington, DC area.
I guest speak at psychology and health classes in
Montgomery County to introduce hypnosis as a tool for confidence and stress
management. I also entertain at after
prom and all night graduation parties hosted by Parent Teacher Student
Associations (PTSA) in both Montgomery and Fairfax Counties.
It’s through this interaction with teachers, parents
and students that I have come to appreciate: 1) the culture at each school is somewhat
unique; yet 2) the commitment to foster a learning and growth environment is
absolutely consistent. As a father of
three sons I find this comforting.
My experience last week provides an example of
everything right with schools in this region.
I spent two days on campus at Our Lady
of Good Counsel High School in Olney, Maryland to speak with psychology
students about hypnosis as an altered state of consciousness. The kids were engaged and inquisitive with
many eager to try a basic hypnotic induction.
After my talk, the teacher who hosted me and I chatted
with a couple of students about their hypnotic experience. The conversation shifted to other areas of
their life, such as college selection, peer interaction, etc. I was so impressed with the kids’ maturity,
as well as their focus on living productive and caring lives.
Early Sunday morning found me on-site to entertain
for the after prom at Montgomery Blair High School
in Silver Spring, Maryland. This is a
unique public school as the student body combines kids who live in the
neighborhoods with those who travel a great distance for the science and math
magnet program.
During my nearly four hours at the after prom more
than 75 kids gave hypnosis a try. It was
a lot of fun and I had a myriad of parents who were there to chaperone express their
appreciation for my participation. I
also had the pleasure of meeting Blair’s principal.
What is the take-away?
The educational mission of a school is important, and
there is a lot of pressure on administrators, teachers and parents to make good
on the promise. I’ve found that schools
are much more than four walls. They
truly provide a community for students to thrive. And that is what is happening!
And finally, I wanted to share “thank you” notes I received
from two Good Counsel students who attended a couple of my talks on
campus. Each student volunteered for
hypnosis several times.
I wanted to thank you for coming to our school and especially for hypnotizing me (3 times)! The whole experience has been enlightening and extremely helpful. Thank you for helping me to become more confident in both my studies and my athletics…I know that if you can convince me of my worth that I can (and have) convinced myself.Thank you for making time for my psychology class. It makes me want to continue to learn about psychology and learn about myself as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment