This past weekend I had the privilege of performing my
Hypnotic Experience show at a birthday party for an 11-year-old. Rather than accepting gifts, the birthday
girl asked her family, friends and guests to make a donation to KaBOOM!, a charitable group that constructs
playgrounds in underserved communities.
She raised more than $600 for this wonderful organization.
Admittedly, I was a bit apprehensive about this show because
the tween age group is atypical for me.
Most of my entertaining is for high
school and college
aged students, as well as young
professionals and adults.
Would the kids demonstrate the level of focus required for
hypnosis? How would the content of my
pre-talk resonate with tweens? How would
parents react to a hypnotist? These were
questions I considered as I prepared for the show.
I elected to stick with my standard approach with some minor
content adjustments, based on what I believed would resonate with tweens. The party came together well and, based on
the feedback I have received from the hosts, the Hypnotic Experience was a
success.
Here are a few of my thoughts:
--Kids this age are just starting to develop the attention
span that makes a 45 minute to an hour hypnosis show fun. I made the right call to streamline the
pre-talk content by cutting down on a couple of the anecdotes related to
applications of hypnosis.
--Similar to older kids, tweens absolutely have an interest
in hypnosis. Rather than the health and
wellness, academic or athletic benefits, it’s more of a natural curiosity.
--Nearly every kid in attendance volunteered to try
hypnosis, which presented some challenges for me. Of the 25 or so kids who participated, my
guess is a handful truly reached a state of hypnosis with heightened suggestibility.
--Thankfully, the birthday girl was one of the kids
hypnotized which allowed me to use a basic suggestion to demonstrate her
creativity. Her friends truly enjoyed
that.
While I plan to stick with my performance niche, I do
anticipate having the chance to introduce hypnosis to tweens when I perform
this summer at the Arlington County
Fair and Burke
Centre Festival.
No comments:
Post a Comment