Monday, April 7, 2014

After Prom Parents Try Hypnosis


As I poked my head in the door, I was met with a cascade of skeptical gazes and cautious hellos.

The parents who comprise Magruder High School’s After Prom committee are in the final planning stage and run-up to the all night event, which is scheduled for mid-May.  My “Hypnotic Experience” show is on the line-up of entertainment for the affair and they had requested an introductory meeting.

With relatively little knowledge about and exposure to hypnosis, I kept my talk informal, personal and education oriented.  Here are a couple of the highlights from my 45 minute talk:

Define hypnosis.  It’s a completely natural state of mind characterized by focus, concentration, creativity and suggestability.  Think of it as similar to day dreaming with a person’s imagination in hyper drive.

Overview its applications.  I focus on four high value areas when sharing and teaching the practice of self hypnosis – stress management, sleeping well, self confidence and performing in the moment (i.e. school, career and sports).

Explain the show.  It’s fun, entertaining and includes audience participation, which makes it ideal for an After Prom event.  Yet, I have a message as well:  positive visualization can help a person achieve a higher level of success, happiness and health.  This is a theme that plays well with younger audiences.

Be professional and flexible.  My priority is to help the committee host an exceptional evening for the kids.  Organizing an After Prom event is a whole lot of work and the parents are all volunteers.  I arrive on time, well prepared and always stay flexible.

So, how was the talk received?

The parents were so intrigued they expressed interest in experiencing a simply hypnotic induction.  Fifteen minutes later the meeting wrapped up with everyone feeling positive and refreshed, and jazzed about my participation in Magruder’s After Prom.

Here’s the note I received the next day from the committee lead:


Hi Marc, thank you again for coming to our meeting last night and giving us a session.  I slept great.  Deby, woman to my left, thinks she fell asleep while you were talking.  It really was relaxing.  I think we need to keep your show to an hour because I have a feeling you will be talking with students and parents for quite a while after the show. It really is interesting. 

Taking a volunteer through a hypnotic induction at last year's Richard Montgomery HS After Prom.

No comments:

Post a Comment