It is a class of alphas. They walk the halls with confidence. Each plays at least one varsity sport. They all desire to make competitive athletics part of their college experience.
This past week I had the privilege of speaking at Walt Whitman High
School to about 20 students about the power of visualization to improve
athletic performance. Called the
“Whitman Athletic Leadership Team,” the class is taught by a physical education
instructor and coach of the school’s varsity baseball team.
Here are highlights from my 50 minute presentation:
--I captured interest with two anecdotes about how
visualization can empower exceptional athletic achievement: 1) Ray Allen’s dramatic three pointer during
game six of the NBA finals last year; and 2) the incredible
story of Vietnam War POW Major James Nesmith who improved his golf game by
20 strokes without stepping on a course for seven years.
--The talk then shifted to a definition of hypnosis and an
overview of its meaningful applications for athletics, including stress
management, self-confidence and injury recovery. I presented each within the context of
challenges that high school athletes face when preparing for and engaging in
competition.
--The issue of confidence was of particular interest for the
students, especially its importance when graduating to the collegiate
level. When everyone on the field is
talented, skilled and physically gifted, mental fortitude often becomes the
separating factor. It helps players shine
in key moments.
--I then offered to take the kids through a brief hypnosis
induction and, to my pleasant surprise, every student in the class
volunteered. I employed a couple of
simple relaxing visualizations to create the right environment, and then helped
each student capture a feeling of confidence in a post-hypnotic suggestion.
Although we were limited by time and a classroom environment
during a school day is far from ideal, I think each student came away intrigued
by hypnosis and its use by athletes.
Equally important, they have a deeper appreciation for the role mental
strength and focus plays in achieving success – in sports and in life.
![]() |
| NBA coach Phil Jackson used mediation and hypnosis for his championship basketball teams. |
![]() |
| Tiger Woods employs hypnosis for mental focus on the course. |


No comments:
Post a Comment